Friday, May 22, 2015

Beginning Turkish

In honor of my family arriving in one week, here is your beginning Turkish course, followed by some of my favorite phrases or words that I have learned. I attempted to sound them out for you as accurately as I could:

Hello - Merhaba (Looks like it sounds)
Please - Lütfen (Lewt-fehn)
Thank you - Teşekkür ederim (Te-sheh-kur eh-der-im)
Pardon/ Excuse me - Pardon
Good morning - Günaydın (Gew-nye-duhn)
Good night - Iyi geceler (Eeyee ge-je-ler)
How much is this? -  Kaç lira? (Kach lira)
Where?  - Nerede? (Looks like it sounds)
What time is it?  - Saat kaç? (Sa-aht kach)
Where is the bathroom? - Banyo Nerede? (Looks like it sounds)
OK - Tamam (Looks like it sounds)

Really, all you have to remember when reading Turkish is:
C makes J sound
Ş is SH
Ç is CH
Ü is EW like the German vowel in Für Elise
Ö is I as in "Bird"
I without the dot is like "Uh"

With these under your belt, you can read anything in Turkish, as it is a Phonetic language.

When someone sneezes, you say "çok yaşa," (choke yasha) which literally means "live long"
Anytime someone is about to eat, is eating, or just finished eating, you say to them "afiyet olsun"
(ah-fee-yet ol-sun) which is like Turkey's bon appetit
So-So - söyle böyle (shur-ley bur-ley) It's just so fun to say!
Mr. - Bey (Bay or Bae as my brother would say)

I know there are more, but this is a start for all those wishing to know a little bit of Turkish.

To my family, study hard!



1 comment: