Monday, February 23, 2015

Museum of Anatolian Civilizations in Ankara

Saturday my friend from Germany, my friend from Denmark, and I decided to get up early, catch the 8:50 bus to the city of Ankara, and go to the main museum of Ankara, the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations. During orientation, one of the archaeological professors came and gave us an overview of the history and archaeological discoveries of Turkey, especially the areas surrounding Ankara. Since then, I have been very eager to go to this museum, as it is well respected all over the world. Plus, with our museum pass that we purchased last week in Cappadocia, we were able to enter for free! We paid the 10 Turkish Lira for the audio tour though (10 Lira is about $4. No big deal. Well worth it!)

This time going into the city we hardly got lost! Every time we go to Ankara, I feel more comfortable with directions and how to get places. Even after just a month of being in Turkey, I feel like I can make my way around the general areas of Ankara. Imagine what another 3 months will do! I will know Ankara very well hopefully. We got a bit confused climbing the hilly section of Ankara, but thankfully the museum is very well known and even the locals that do not speak English were able to point us in the right direction.

Side story:

Two weeks ago, while we were searching for the bazaar and a different museum, we were standing looking like tourists with our map spread out in front of us, and a taxi driver approached us and asked if we needed help with directions. He knew a bit of English, so with a mixture of English and Turkish, we were able to get good directions not only to where we wanted to go, but where the bus stop would be for the return trip. He was so helpful and so kind! And he did it out of the goodness of his heart. No discussion of payment. He just knows the city backwards and forwards and saw three international girls trying to understand his city. Fast forward to today, Saturday, two weeks after that initial meeting. As we were walking along the same road, we saw him again! Or rather he recognized us again. But this was in a different section of this road (which is the main road in Ankara, which is of course named after Ataturk). Out of the 4 million people that live in Ankara, we run into the same taxi driver! Maybe he does the same routes along that main road, but still, we just happened to be in the same spot at the same time yet again. So we told him where we were going this week, and he was so excited for us to see this main museum in Ankara. He pointed us in the right direction and saw us off. Perhaps we will run into him again another day in Ankara!

Outside of the museum, they have statues and pottery all around the museum in a garden of history. It was very pretty with the snow on the ground as well. This museum is organized by time period, so it begins in the Paleolithic period all the way to the Roman period. There is not a museum like this in America. We just don't have the history like Turkey does. Turkey is just surrounded by history. Everywhere I go I have to remind myself that long ago, way long ago, people were still living in this area of the world and we have proof of it. As usual, I took many pictures. I will try and explain what I remember from a few of the them:

This mini statue is from the oldest period in Turkey. They believe that it is a nature/mother goddess, as she has enlarged breasts and a plump stomach, possibly she is giving birth. On either side of her chair are two leopards. She displays power with these leopards. It is surprising to archaeologists that at such an early age in civilization, there is evidence of such fine sculpting and such a complex belief in the supernatural.


This volcanic rock was smoothed and made to shine to use as a mirror. I found it fascinating and amazing that ancient people could get a rock to shine so well. I could see my reflection fairly well, even from far away from it and through a display case.

This enlarged pot was used during the Hittite period (1700-1200 BC) I believe. The pictures on it display a traditional wedding, beginning at the bottom of the pot and moving to the top in a circular fashion. The pictures include a sacrifice of an animal to the gods and the performance of many musicians. You can see some tambourines on the tier second from the top. I love that there is evidence of music from the earliest of times. It really has been a part of civilization since they began. I love this pot also because the colors are so vibrant, even 3000 years later. 


This next picture is of Hittite writing on stone. I believe they had a written language but they used a type of hieroglyphics as well. What I came to find out was that one of these stone tablets, or at least its replica, is actually displayed at the United Nations. It must have some words of wisdom or laws or words of peace that are internationally respected.


In the Roman section, they had many remnants of statues of the Roman gods along with pottery and glass pottery. They then had a display of coins from the entire Roman ruling period. My audio guide informed me that this one is of Augustus, thes first emperor of Rome. "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's, and to God what is God's." This is the type of coin that Jesus was referring to in the Gospels! Wow! Do I love history!


In the center of the museum, they have a large area to display all of the large stone structures found in this Anatolian area. Stone carvings always amaze me, as I would have no idea where to begin on a carving of a massive piece of stone. 


The cutest thing, though, was the school groups. I'm not sure why they were there on a Saturday, but, regardless, they burst through the doors all excited, not just to see the things in the museum, but the tourists too! Many of them asked to take pictures with me and some of the Asian visitors of the museum as well. Their teacher made them practice their English by saying "Thank you!" It was so precious! You can just see their eyes get big and stare at you for a while, drawing up the courage to ask to take a picture with you. 

I can see why this museum is on the Top Choice list of my Lonely Planet travel book. There is so much history packed into one place. And it is displayed so nicely as well. I encourage all who come to Turkey to come to this museum. Hopefully I gave you a good sneak peak to what you will discover at the museum yourself! 

2 comments:

  1. Awesome! Love the history! Love the children...did you get their autograph? names? A picture for an autograph, fair exchange. And.... Thanks taxi driver!!! God blesses us everywhere! Thanks God. Praying for the Turkish people today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your love of history and this museum trip was very much enjoyed - thank you! 😄

    ReplyDelete